That’s it, the summer holidays are upon us and I’m sure you’ll be out and about enjoying yourselves! Here are some quick and easy ideas that are healthy and satisfying for relaxed outdoor eating…whatever the weather!
Sandwiches are a picnic staple. Why not add a bit of pzazz to make your sandwiches something to write home about. All of these ideas are approximately 300 calories – ideal for that packed lunch. Choose between granary or wholemeal bread (2 medium slices from a large loaf) or how about a wholemeal bread wrap for a change.
- Egg with Cream Cheese – spread two slices of bread with extra light mayo. Mash a hardboiled egg with a tablespoon of low fat cream cheese with chives and sandwich together.
- Spicy Cheese and Salsa – mix together 28g/1oz grated low fat cheese with a chopped spring onion and teaspoon of tomato chutney with a splash of chilli sauce.
- Crunchy Chicken Caesar Style – mix together 2 teaspoons extra light mayo with half a teaspoon wholegrain mustard and squeeze of lemon juice and spread on two slices of bread. Fill with 56g/2oz sliced chicken, spring onions and crispy lettuce.
- Beetroot, Cheese and Coleslaw – spread bread with a Laughing Cow Light cheese triangle and fill with sliced beetroot, Slimtone Coleslaw and lots of rocket leaves. This is delicious when the beetroot is warm and melts the cheese – mmmmm!
- Chicken and Mango – mix 1 tablespoon of extra light mayo with a teaspoon of mango chutney and a chopped spring onion. Add to 56g/2oz diced cooked chicken.
Make your sandwiches or wraps in advance and pack in foil to keep them fresh and tasty. And if the weather really isn’t good, all of these can be popped onto a health grill to make a scrumptious toastie.
Super Summer Veg
There’s a dazzling array of vegetables available right now, so make the most of it. Add a large bowl of salad to have alongside your sandwich. Or pack some crudités – carrot sticks, cherry tomatoes, celery sticks, baby sweetcorn, even asparagus tips and all fun to eat and easy to pack. They also add a satisfying crunch to your lunch!
I don’t know about you, but I like to have something sweet in my picnic. For me there’s nothing better than a bowl of fresh strawberries with a squirt of aerosol cream. And with so many summer fruits available, it’s easy to create a delicious fresh fruit salad. Peaches, mangoes, strawberries, melons, kiwi fruit, grapes…. You can let your imagination run riot with the variety of colours and flavours and textures! Remember, if you have apples or bananas, seal the cut fruit with a squeeze of lemon juice to stop them discolouring.
Our Slimtone Sunshine Super Berry Jellies are a favourite too – and just 50 calories per portion. Make up one sachet of sugar free raspberry jelly as directed. Layer sliced strawberries, raspberries and blueberries in four individual dishes (or plastic pots if you’re taking them on a picnic.). Pour over enough jelly to cover the fruit and pop in the fridge until slightly set. Cover with another layer of fruit and the rest of the jelly. Chill until completely set and top with a portion of aerosol cream.
A few quick and easy picnic ideas to get you started. I’d love to hear about your favourite picnic package – share your ideas here or on our Facebook page. Let’s hope the weather stays fine so that you can enjoy your days out and a super Slimtone picnic.
Don’t forget, if you join Slimtone over the summer, as well as the Slimtone Lifestyle Plan and everything to help you lose weight steadily and healthily, you’ll also get a copy of our NEW 40th anniversary book.
I look forward to seeing you very soon,